Dry skin is usually caused by when your skin is exposed to various environments. There are also certain diseases which can change the function and appearance of your skin.
Most common places for dry skin to appear is on your arms, hands, lower legs, ankles, feet, thighs and abdomen. It often appears red, rough or itchy patches. There are some simple things you can mix into your routine to help combat this condition.
- Avoid being expose to hot water! Hot water does cleanse your skin of all oils faster than warm water but it will dry out your skin. Use warm water instead and try to limit yourself to 5-10 minutes in the shower daily.
- Cleansers or Shower gels? Stick to using unscented, soap-free or mild soap cleansers when bathing.
- When do I apply Moisturizers? When you get out of the shower gently pat your skin dry with a towel This is when to apply your moisturizer. Do this within three to five minutes after washing and the moisturizer will do it’s job.
- Shaving can damage your skin. If you need to shave off unwanted body hair. Make sure to do this when you are finished bathing. Your hair will be easier to shave off. Always use cream or gels and make sure your razor is sharp. Shaving incorrectly in a bad direction or using a dull blade can cause your skin to become irritated.
What Moisturizer should I get?
Moisturizers can be expensive and there are so many. Make sure to do your research and read the label before purchasing it. Here are some things to look for.
- Ceramides. Ceramides and Synthetic ceramides help keep moisture and soothes your dry skin.
- Dimethicone and glycerin. Lock in water into the skin and keep it there.
- Lanolin, mineral oil, and petroleum jelly. These will prevent water loss which were absorbed in to your body when bathing.
- Hyaluronic acid. Same thing as ceramides and hyaluronic acid helps keep in moisture in your skin.
You will also want to find a good before sun sunscreen at least SPF 30 to protect your screen during the day. To prevent chapped lips use a lip balm which offers SPF 15.
5 easy ways to correct dry skin
Here are some ways to make your skin supple and smooth:
- If the air is dry at your home, use a humidifier. It is a good way to keep your skin hydrated.
- The material your clothes matter, try to stick to cloth or other natural fibers. Wool, synthetic or other fabric can irritate and cause you to scratch at your skin.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Founds which contain omega-3 contain fatty acids which help your keep your skin looking healthy. Cold water fish(salmon,halibut,sardines) walnuts, flax and safflower oil are great for this.
- If you have redness or inflammation, use a cool compress. You can also apply hydrocortisone cream. Consult your doctor if the issue continues.
We sell various moisturizers, sunscreens and lip balms to help treat any of your skin care needs.